Search This Blog

Saturday, March 9, 2013

The Auto Show


We went to the car show in Oklahoma City.  It was pretty good. There were a lot of people who climb all over you when you try to look in a door or open the hood.  But no salesmen.  Lots of kids playing driver who are cute.  It was my chance to take my bride as a captive audience and get her to try out the seats and entry for comfort.  Then she goes for the tailgate, folds down seats because she is not dreaming cars but spring and all the flowers she can haul in the back end. 

            They have the doggonedest names for cars.  Who decided, in their infinite marketing wisdom to name a truck an Avalanche.  Isn’t that a big disastrous pile-up?  Or the Armada.  Wasn’t that the huge fleet which went down to the embarrassment of Spain?  Reminds me of that car they used to call the Citation.  “Boy, you in trouble. I’m gonna write you a citation.”  Or when Volkswagen named that little car the Golf.  Gee, does it run on batteries and have a fringed top? And who thought up that slogan for Chrysler, "imported from Detroit?" At least claim a respectible country without so much debt.  That's worse than, "Imported from Greece." 

            I tend to just enjoy it.  Do not fight the other people looking at the cars but talk to them.  One old guy was trying to see the sticker behind a particularly dark tinted window.  “Tough to see, ain’t it,” I observed.  He grinned, “Yeah, if I had a car with windows that dark they would think I was the mafia.”  “I know,” I commiserated. “But if the police saw us old guys driving ten miles an hour with our blinkers on, they’d know the mafia was getting old.”

I told the it’s-been-a-long-day girl who was waiting to speak on the rotating stage she needed to get a drink so she wouldn’t look like Marco Rubio.  When a bunch of us looked at a Lexus sports car’s sticker at $381,000, I asked who wanted to flip me for it.  Everybody started laughing about how you’d have to win two lotteries! 

I had a nice visit with a very well-versed fellow who manned a booth on CNG where several manufacturers had vehicles displayed but nobody talked to him.  He taught me all about the ins and outs of natural gas dual fuel conversions, and gave a map of all the Oklahoma outlets for CNG.  So with this freshly in mind, I was approached a few minutes later by a hyperactive salesperson from Ford.  I asked if Ford had a CNG truck.  CNG makes more sense for a truck since it can be placed affront the bed, protected against impact.  No, Ford did not, he told me rather haughtily.  He was from San Francisco and he had just heard of CNG for the first time this week and everyone was annoyingly asking about it and he sure wouldn’t want such a vehicle if he were traveling cross country where he would run out of fuel.  Whatta you do then, walk? 

I couldn’t resist. Naw, the way it works is with a dual conversion, I told him.  You start the vehicle on gasoline and the computer then changes over to the natural gas.  So there is a 20 gallon gasoline tank as well as the CNG tank and you can go for about 1000 miles using both tanks.  Plus there are almost 100 natural gas outlets already in OK and many in other states.  About ¼ of an MCF of natural gas is equal to a gallon of gasoline so that is like driving on 90 cent gasoline.  Plus there is an oil patch company in Oklahoma City that makes a home gas compressor you can hook up outside your garage.  CNG is a coming thing for trucks, and our state is converting most of the state fleet to CNG.  We intend to show our jackass President, who doesn’t want us to drill, that we are going to solve this thing anyway.  And then all his liberal friends can just eat their hearts out and freeze in the dark.

You should have seen the slack-jawed look of stunned befuddlement on his face.  

1 comment: